Village of Chittenango, New York
PB 04 09 18
Planning Board Meeting
April 9, 2018
 
Present:  Bob Salmon, Joyce Newkirk, Andy Jones, Scott Pellman, Bob Lake, Karl Anderson, Jeff Geer, Chuck White B&L, Zachary Plonka CHA Design, Dan King Sun Chevrolet COO, Mayor Pulver,  Jill Doss
 
Chairman Salmon called the meeting to order at 7 p.m.
 
Sun Chevrolet –Madison Street parking lot
Zachary Plonka of CHA Design and Dan King Chief Operating Officer for Sun Chevrolet appeared before the Board meeting this evening.  Mr. King introduced himself to the Board members.  Mr. Plonka explained that Sun Chevrolet recently purchased the parking lot on Madison/Dyke Rd/Rt. 173 &5 and would like to make improvements to the lot, including paving and lighting the lot.  The plan is to have one entrance into the lot near Brinkerhoff Hill Rd with a curb cut of 30 ft.  The other accesses will be eliminated.  The plan is to use the existing gravel lot as a base, some areas around the perimeter will be peeled back (the gravel) about 5 ft. to neaten and clean up the perimeters.  They will fill in potholes and low spots in the gravel but no plan for disturbing any ground.  The drainage will remain the same.  They will pave the gravel area and stripe the lot with approximately 219 spaces and 20 foot wide aisles between the rows of cars.  There are two grassed areas planned, one near the entrance and second on the southwest corner of the property.  14 lighting fixtures are planned on 16 foot poles.  There are three different styles of fixtures 2-A type, which have forward throw optics which reduce spillage at the rear (back side), 5 C type, which has more back light spillage-more even light, and 7 D type which are a four way light with broader coverage.  Chairman Salmon explained the concern on the lighting, with this area being near residential and light spillage complaints.  There was a C-type fixture at the southwest corner of the property indicated.  The Board suggested that an A-type fixture be used in this area due to the concern of light spillage.  This will be reviewed.  Chuck White from B& L Engineers asked if a document could be provided to the Village showing the lighting as it currently exists and the lighting measurements that are generated with those fixtures.  The Board asked if the lighting plan that was presented was done taking into account the paved area as opposed to the one that has vehicles.  The lighting schematic was done with pavement.  The Board asked if the lighting would be on all night or if some of the lights could be turned down/off.  Zachary said that the lights are programmable and adjustments could be made.  Dan asked what the Board would like to see happen.    He stated Sun could set the lighting as the Village needs.  The lighting is all LED type.  There are a lot of controls that can be used to dial back the light intensity.  Zachary stated that higher poles would provide a more uniform light distribution.  The existing lights would be removed.  Chuck White said the proposed lights would be the whiter bluer lighting.  Chairman Salmon suggested that perhaps a sample of the lighting fixture might be helpful to have at the public hearing.  
The Board discussed the lighting for the site.  Zachary said the bollard (wooden) fencing would not be replaced, it would stay in place.  Chairman Salmon asked what will happen between the existing fencing (bollard) when the soil is pulled back –what will be put in its place, which appears to be approximately 5 feet in width.  The Board discussed where the curb cuts were, if bollards would be put in those areas and will the curb cuts be raised.  The Board discussed drainage and with the lot being paved how that will impact or increase drainage off the site.  The Board asked that information be prepared on the drainage and possible increase of rip rap for the additional flow that could be caused by paving the lot.  Zachary stated he would provide rip rap details.  The Board also stated that the developer should coordinate with the State DOT on the sidewalk requirements and the road cut to be certain they are with the DOT guidelines.  Zachary also stated that because the planned disturbance was minimal that there would not be a need for SWPP report.  Chuck White stated he would confirm that for the Village.  The total area of the paving was approximately 1.5 acres.  The Board reviewed the short form SEQR form that was completed.  The applicant was asking that a public hearing be scheduled for this site plan.  The Board discussed the information that has to be sent to Madison County Planning Board and to various other agencies relative to SEQR and the timetable needed.  The Board agreed to schedule the hearing for May 7, 2018 at 7 p.m.  Secretary was instructed to send information to the County and various agencies impacted by this application.  The Board briefly discussed signage for the lot.   Plans and drawings would need to be submitted for the Board to review.  Chuck White commented that he would look into whether the SWPP was needed; he commented he thought the lighting levels are high.  He really encouraged the Board to have the applicant provide a document indicating what lighting is in place.  He spoke about the curb cuts on Madison Street, if they are being eliminated, which is what the plan indicates, it was suggested those areas be filled in.  Chuck White also commented that he and Jesse from B & L will review the lighting.  He will speak with Zachary on the curb cuts.  The Board also reviewed the location of the project on the FEMA flood maps and about paving in the flood way/flood plain.  The Board also spoke about landscaping briefly.
 
Minutes
The Board members reviewed the minutes of March 5, 2018.  Upon the motion made by Joyce Newkirk, seconded by Bob Lake, minutes of March 5, 2018 approved as written.  All members present voting in favor.
 
Andy Jones asked to be signed up for Madison County training on April 16.  
 
Mayor Pulver introduced himself to the Board this evening.  He spoke about a plan he envisioned for the downtown and about possibly forming a group to discuss improving the downtown area.  
 
Bob Lake advised he will be out of town for the next meeting.
 
With no further business, meeting adjourned at 8:50 p.m. upon the motion made by Andy Jones, seconded by Bob Lake.  All members present voting in favor.
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
 
Jill A. Doss
Secretary to PB
 

 ©2018 Village of Chittenango, New York